Maury Middle School
2016-2017 School Year
This compact outlines how the school staff, the parents, and the students at Maury Middle School will share the responsibility for improved student academic achievement and the means by which the school and parents will build and develop a partnership that will help children achieve Tennessee’s high standards. In compliance with parent involvement laws and regulations, parents will be asked to sign and return the shortened form of this compact. This more descriptive form is being published on the school’s website for reference.
As staff and faculty, we will:
· Provide high-quality curriculum and instruction in a supportive and effective learning environment in order for students to meet academic achievement standards.
o All teachers at Maury Middle School are highly qualified.
o Teachers participate in on-going professional development.
o Grade level teachers work weekly in collaborative teams.
o Intervention is provided in math and reading based on student needs.
· Hold parent teacher conferences in both the fall and spring semesters.
o Parent-teacher conferences will be scheduled at least a month in advance.
o The school calendar will reflect the parent- teacher conference dates.
o Teachers will send home information on scheduling parent teacher conferences.
· Give families timely reports on student progress.
o Report cards are used every 9 weeks along with mid-terms between each 9 week reporting period.
o Teachers send home communications which include schedules, student behavior expectations, and homework expectations.
· Be accessible to parent/guardians and respond to their questions and concerns in a timely manner.
o Parents/guardians can contact teachers by email, phone, note, or in person.
o School staff members are available to return phone calls or meet with parents/guardians during their planning times. All teachers have one 71-minute planning time daily.
· Provide parents with opportunities to participate in their child’s education.
o Volunteer training is available to parents at the beginning of the school year and throughout the year upon request.
o Volunteers are utilized during special school events such as book fairs, dances, etc.
o Parents are encouraged to get involved in PTO, Hornet Pride, and other extra-curricular activities at school.
· Set and enforce firm and fair safety, discipline, and drug/alcohol policies.
o Safety measures are in place and updated annually.
o Students are educated on classroom rules and procedures and are provided with a student handbook containing rules and procedures.
o Teachers use a behavior system with students.
o Office and bus referral forms are utilized by school staff.
· Provide a safe, caring environment conducive to learning.
o Students are treated respectfully.
o School rules are outlined in the student handbook.
o Schedules are in place to minimize distractions and maximize learning.
· Be responsible, respectful, and ready to help all students learn each day.
o Be present in the classroom to conduct and supervise learning activities.
o Have lessons prepared ahead in order to maximize learning time.
o Respond to student concerns in a timely manner.
o Teachers/staff will enforce rules consistently and fairly.
As parents/guardians, we will:
· Send children to school each day on time, appropriately dressed, and prepared to learn.
o Consult the handbook on questions involving dress-code.
o Understand the attendance policy of the school/district.
· Monitor and supervise progress and completion of homework and offer assistance when needed.
o Provide a quiet time and place for homework daily.
· Participate, as appropriate, with my child’s teachers in making educational decisions for my child.
· Promote positive use of my child’s extra-curricular time.
· Make an effort to attend school functions, including parent teacher conferences. Show support to teachers at Maury Middle School.
· Review and sign report cards.
· Stay informed about my child’s education; communicate with the school by promptly reading and responding as necessary to all correspondence from the school or district, and/or contacting the school as necessary with concerns.
o Sign and return necessary forms to school.
o Sign and return discipline forms when sent home.
o Sign and return progress reports.
o Correspond as necessary through the student planner.
· Support the school’s efforts to maintain good discipline and a safe environment.
o Be familiar with the school’s rules and policies and help students understand and abide by them.
· Be responsible, respectful, and ready to help my child learn each day.
As a student of Maury Middle School, I will:
· Attend school regularly, ready to learn and with homework completed.
· Talk to my family about problems and progress in school.
· Do my homework every day and seek assistance from teachers when there are problems with schoolwork.
· Bring all necessary materials to class each day.
· Follow the discipline, safety, and all other school policies.
· Treat adults and other students with fairness and respect.
· Be responsible, respectful, and ready to learn each day.